Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Exploring Digital Storytelling

Unfortunately, the sound card of my laptop is broken. I missed the chance of exploring all the fantastic samples on Dr. Helen Barrett's website(I can only guess the meaning by watching the slides) Among all the approaches in storytelling Dr.Barrett mentioned, I am particularly interested in storytelling about my life, the people around me, and my turning points.

The entire setting of the ePortfolio will be in a Biography format that consists of my voice and others' voices. I will roughly describe my life dating back my childhood. I will be the main storyteller of this narration. On the other hand, I will also intertwine my story with interviews of people who know me well enough to tell people the insights of my life and their opinions about me. I believe that a second opinion is always more objective and convincing than my own preaching about myself. Besides, this creates multiple dimensions of my life. Different voices will make a "2D" video presentation into a 3D sensual prospective. In this case, I will interview my parents, my brother(I guess he will be the most honest person to talk about my good and evil side!ha ha), my mentors, close relatives, teachers, friends, or maybe even the Janitor I meet on campus every morning!

Second, I love every single people I met in my life. They are fantastic and almost everyone has inspired me to progress and improve in a positive way. Without their presence, I would not have been able to be the person I am right now. These are fantastic stories I want to share with the world. Similarly, I encountered many miraculous turning points. I cannot talk about myself without addressing these moments. In my ePortfolio, I will definitely add on these precious moments with touchy music background and pictures in addition to the voice recording. Also, if possible, I will attach several relevant video clips that my parents or friends have captured in times of my turning points. Of course, I will also express my gratitude and give credit to the people whom have guided me to overcome the crossroads and turning points in my life.

That's pretty much about it...I hope that's the right approach I am going with your instructions. :P
Anyway, my point of weaving other people's voices and stories into my story is that I believe there's an unbreakable linkage between one person and another. One's life is a collage of other people's decisions and stories. This is the philosophy behind my storytelling.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. Finding the stories you most want to "share with the world" is the essence of the whole ePortfolio process (whether audio, video, graphics, or text-based).